A Bill is currently before parliament that, if passed, will impact Well Grounded along with all Registered Training Organisations in Australia. This Bill is the:
“National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Amendment Bill 2015”
As of 10.30 am, 5 March 2015, the third reading has been agreed to by the House of Representatives. The next step is for the final text of the Bill to be agreed to by both the House of Representatives and the Senate, before the Governor-General provides the assent.
UPDATE @ 11.30 am: the second reading has been moved in the Senate
UPDATE 16 March @ 6:30 pm: second reading debate, second reading agreed to, third reading agreed to
According to the Explanatory Memorandum, the overview of the Bill is as follows:
A high quality vocational education and training (VET) sector is fundamental to a skilled workforce and a productive economy. The purpose of the National Vocational Education and Training Regulator Amendment Bill (the Bill) is to amend the National Vocational Education and Training Act 2011 (the NVETR Act), to introduce measures to protect the integrity of the VET system, to provide better balance between protection and regulation of the VET system and to make amendments to improve the efficiency and operation of the NVETR Act and consequently the Australian Skills Quality Authority (the Regulator).
The main measures in the Bill include:
– enhancing quality in the VET sector
– improving transparency in the marketing of VET courses
– reducing regulatory burden through extension of registration periods
– administrative amendments to existing provisions identified as needing clarification.
Changes impacting RTOs include:
– Extending the maximum period of registration from five to seven years
– Any person advertising or representing a nationally recognised training course must clearly identify the provider responsible for the qualification in their marketing material (a potential vocational student should be able to clearly identify the registered training organisation responsible for the qualification they are signing up for)
At Well Grounded Consultancy, we welcome the amendment. We are remaining up-to-date with the latest progress in relation to the Bill, as well as all areas of RTO regulation so we can continue to exceed compliance standards.
Information for the post was sourced from the Parliament of Australia.
All the necessary information relating to the Amendment can be found here